Why Drink Protein Shakes?
I think protein shakes are great for breakfast or as a quick snack. I’ve listed my top 5 reasons for why low carb dieters (and non-dieters) should drink protein shakes:
- It’s a milkshake/chocolate milk substitute! If you make protein shakes right, they can almost taste like milkshakes or chocolate milks. I won’t lie to you – nothing can create the same taste and texture as a really good milkshake or chocolate milk, but this comes pretty close! Protein powders come in many flavors, including chocolate, vanilla, and strawberry, so it’s not hard to find one you like. There are also various ways of making the shakes thicker if you want it to taste more like a milkshake (read this article for how to thicken your shake). If you’re interested in drinking chocolate milk, then try this really simple chocolate shake recipe.
- It’s quick and simple to make – the most basic recipe just requires some protein powder and water. You don’t even need a blender to make it, as a shaker can also be used (read this article about whether you should use a blender or a shaker and which blender is best).
- Cheap – although a container of protein powder can cost you more than $20, it works out to be very cheap per shake. I usually buy the Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey Gold Standard 5lb (or 2lb) container. For the 5lb container (and assuming you put 2 scoops (60g) of powder in each shake), it works out to be around 37 shakes or $1.43 per shake. It’s hard to get a nutritious breakfast or snack for cheaper than this!
- Low in carbohydrates – if you make sure you don’t buy protein shakes with any added sugar, then you’ll find that protein shakes are very low in carbs. Unfortunately, many of the prepackaged protein shakes contain huge amounts of sugar. But, if you make your own protein shakes using protein powder, then you can make sure that it contains very few carbs.
- High in protein – protein powders are high in protein, which helps to keep you full and retain muscle while you’re losing weight. In fact, one protein shake (or 60g of the Optimum Nutrition whey protein powder) contains the protein present in 8 eggs!