New Year’s Resolution–Cook More
2012 is going to the year when I unleash my cooking potential! Already this year, I have made 3 new dishes (2 low carb desserts) and bought enough food that my refrigerator is staring to groan. However, I’ve made enough resolutions to know that 2 weeks is the average amount of time before the resolution crumbles and then collapses into a distant memory of yet another failure.
So this year, I’m going to help my lack of perseverance along a bit. Instead of just saying I’ll “cook more,” I’m going to be a bit more definite – I am going to cook at least twice a week. I’m also going to make more simple dishes, so that cooking doesn’t eat into my evenings too much. To kick start this new resolution, I made a really simple dish tonight. It took me all of 15 minutes and was delicious. The recipe for the so-simple-even-you-can-make-it eggs and Chinese chives stir-fry is below, but first, let me explain what Chinese chives are and why they are so amazing!
Chinese chives look a bit like tall grass (see the photo on the right), but they have a very distinct fragrant smell and taste. Although they are similar to normal chives, they have a much stronger taste. It’s hard to describe the taste since it’s quite unique, but it’s probably something close to that of a leek with the sweetness of green onions and a touch of garlic. Doesn’t that sound delicious already?? Unfortunately, you can only find Chinese chives in Asian supermarkets, but you can substitute leeks or regular chives for the Chinese chives.
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 1 and 1/2 lbs of Chinese chives (or leeks or regular chives), chopped into 1/2 inch segments
- 2 tablespoons of coconut oil (or other cooking oil)
- 2 tablespoons of soy sauce
- Pour 2 tablespoons of oil into a frying pan.
- Add the eggs and scramble them.
- When the eggs are cooked, add the chives and cook for 7 minutes on medium heat stirring every few minutes until the chives look wilted.
- Add the 2 tablespoons of soy sauce and stir.
It’s a great dish to have for breakfast, lunch, or dinner. And it’s easy and super quick to make! I wish all recipes were so simple!